Arts Build Communities (ABC)
The Tennessee Arts Commission (TAC) offers the Arts Build Communities (ABC) grant program in partnership with ArtsMemphis for organizations seeking support in the following West TN counties: Fayette, Lauderdale, Shelby, Tipton.
The Arts Build Communities (ABC) grant program is designed to provide support for arts projects that broaden access to arts experiences, address community quality of life issues through the arts, or enhance the sustainability of asset-based cultural enterprises.
ABC funds may be used to:
- Provide innovative arts experiences that are new or unfamiliar to community residents
- Offer arts programs that are designed to help affect positive change in community social issues
- Develop arts programming that strengthens social networks through community engagement
- Undertake cultural arts initiatives that enhance a community’s identity and/or economic development
- Offer training that helps experienced or emerging artists/arts administrators develop entrepreneurial skills or innovative strategies for building sustainability
Open to organizations for arts activities if they meet all applicable requirements described in the guidelines. Individuals and organizations awarded Major Cultural Institution, Cultural Education Partnership, or Partnership Support funding are not eligible to apply for ABC funding. Colleges and universities are eligible only for activities that clearly serve the needs of surrounding communities or the State and are designed to involve a broad audience. Activities that are credit-producing or are oriented primarily to collegiate students and the academic community are not eligible.
Application Deadline: Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. (CT) on June 30, 2017. Click here to access the Tennessee Arts Commission’s Online Grants System.
Contact: Tracy Lauritzen-Wright, tlauritzenwright [at] artsmemphis [dot] org or 901.578.2787
Get an email notification about grant info, deadlines and workshop information, sign up here.
2017 ABC Grant Workshops
ArtsMemphis is hosting a series of free informational workshops on the Arts Build Communities (ABC) grant program. ABC is a Tennessee Arts Commission (TAC) grant, administered by ArtsMemphis for projects in Fayette, Lauderdale, Shelby and Tipton Counties. ABC grants are awarded in amounts of $500 - $2500. Check the guidelines to learn if your organization is eligible.
Tuesday, April 18, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
- National Civil Rights Museum, Links Education & Culture Center
- 450 Mulberry Street, Memphis, TN 38103
- Parking available in lot on Mulberry Street, from G.E. Patterson or Butler Avenues
Wednesday, April 19, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tipton County Museum
- 751 Bert Johnston Ave., Covington, TN 38019
Tuesday, May 2, 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Lauderdale County Library Central Library
- 120 Lafayette Ave, Ripley, TN 38063
- (731) 635-1872
Wednesday, May 3, 2:00pm-3:00pm
- Fayette County Library
- 216 W. Market St. Somerville, TN 38068
- (901) 465-5248
Tuesday, May 9, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- Theatre Memphis, Next Stage
- 630 Perkins Ext, Memphis, TN 38117
2016 Arts Builds Communities Grantees
A total of $42,415 was awarded in Ficsal year 2016 to 24 organizations in Shelby and Lauderdale Counties. Awards range from $985 to $2,000.
Blues City Cultural Center
Buckman Performing Arts Center
Children's Museum of Memphis
Heal the Hood Foundation
Hot Foot Honeys
Kingdom Community Builders
Lauderdale County Government
Luna Nova Music
Memphis Library Foundation
Memphis Mens Chorale
National Civil Rights Museum
Neighborhood Christian Centers
Thistle & Bee
Tipton Arts Council
Transformations Autism Treatment Center