What is ArtsFirst?
ArtsFirst is the First Tennessee Foundation’s arts funding program administered by ArtsMemphis. ArtsFirst strengthens the Memphis community by combining First Tennessee Foundation’s commitment to supporting excellence and enrichment in the nonprofit arts sector with ArtsMemphis’ grant-making experience and knowledge. Funding decisions are made by a grant panel composed of First Tennessee Foundation representatives.
Who is eligible for ArtsFirst Funding?
Nonprofit arts organizations in the Shelby County with a minimum three-year history of presenting quality arts projects. Organizations must have an active and supportive Board of Directors and be organized as a 501(c)3.
Funding does NOT support:
- Trips and Tours
- Bank 'clearinghouse' organizations
- Charities sponsored solely by a single civic organization
- Charities that redistribute funds to other charitable organizations, except in the case of recognized united fund-type organizations
- Religious, veteran, social or fraternal organizations
- Political organizations or those having the primary purpose of influencing legislation or promoting a particular ideological point of view
- Operating budget deficits
- December 1, 2015: Application deadline by 5:00 p.m. (see “How to Apply” below)
- January, 2016: Grant announcements made
How to Apply:
- Submit an online application form by 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 1, 2015. Click here to begin.
- Email the following support materials to artsmemphisartsfirst [at] gmail [dot] com by 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 1, 2015 if they are not already on file at ArtsMemphis:
- A current list of your organization’s Board of Directors.
- Your organization’s 501c3 letter from the IRS.
- Your organization’s most recent Form 990.
- A project budget (revenue and expenses). Please note other funders or prospects who are part of this project.
- Any additional supplemental materials that may be relevant to the request (optional).
Direct questions to Lucie Thompson (901-578-2787, lthompson [at] artsmemphis [dot] org).
2015 ArtsFirst Recipients
Africa In April Cultural Awareness Festival, Inc. - Community Engagement Project
Ballet Memphis - Ballet Memphis Community Building: The Little Prince
Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic Art - Exhibition Audio Tour
Circuit Playhouse, Inc. - Presenting Sponsor for "Billy Elliot The Musical"
Company d - LOCAL
Creative Aging Memphis - Arts Engagement in Under-resourced Senior Communities
Crosstown Arts - Centro Cultural Latino de Memphis Artistic Partnership
Dixon Gallery & Gardens - Scenic Impressionism: American Paintings from the Johnson Collection
Friends of Levitt Pavilion Memphis, Inc. - Stars at the Shell Benefit Concert
Indie Memphis - Year-Round Programming
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art - Memphis Wine + Food Series
The Orpheum Theatre - Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts & Education
Memphis Symphony Orchestra - First Tennessee Masterworks
Metal Museum - Digitization of the Society of North American Goldsmiths Archives
New Ballet Ensemble and School - Scholarship Program
Playback Memphis - Memphis Matters/Community Matters
RiverArtsFest - Art in the Making
Soulsville Foundation - Stax Music Academy Alumni - Live in Studio A
Tennessee Shakespeare Company - A Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Blues Foundation - Blues Hall of Fame Student Transportation
The Memphis BoyChoir, Inc. - An Afternoon of Jazz
Theatre Memphis - Presenting Season Sponsorship
UrbanArt Commission - Public/Art/ists